Waterson’s cage – Goulburn River – Darlington/Darlingford
Item Number: 2024
Waterson’s cage over Goulburn River at Darlington/Darlingford. Situated at the junction of the Goulburn and Big Rivers, Darlingford was named for Governor Darling, the town was flooded when first wall was built across the valley between1914-27, to provide water for irrigation & power generation creating Sugarloaf Dam. By the 1940s it became apparent the wall was not safe and more water was needed for irrigation, work commenced in 1951 on a larger stronger wall to increase the capacity of the dam, creating what is now Lake Eildon. One of the tasks to be carried out before the valley was flooded was the removal of those buried in the old Darlingford Cemetery and their re internment in the Jamieson, Eildon and Mansfield cemeteries.