The actual Woods Point, where storekeeper Woods settled.
Item Number: 3476
The actual Woods Point, where storekeeper Woods settled. In 1862, Mabille (Harry) Wood built a store on the river flat, which gradually became the centre of the village. Wood was an interesting character in his own right, an American, he had arrived in Hobart in 1826, and had been a digger at Ballarat. He had prospected the Upper Goulburn, coming eventually to the township, which still bears his name. He disappeared in the mountains, whilst on a lone prospecting venture, late in the 1860s.